Latest Update: 3/26/2020
Back Market is committed to supporting our Sellers as we all navigate the developments of the COVID-19 situation. You will see here recurring updates on Back Market operational items and guidelines, as well as information on the latest status updates of major US domestic shipping carriers, and other details on developments across the United States particularly related to the access to and movement of goods.
Please note that we are expecting a rise in demand for refurbished electronic devices, as supply channels for new devices and other traditional means of consuming new devices are disrupted. With this in mind, we will be carefully considering actions that we can take to help our Sellers maintain their business operations with as few obstacles or disruptions as possible.
Back Market Sellers COVID-19 Operations Plans Survey
We are also collecting information about our sellers’ current operational plans via this survey. This information will best help us meet your needs in the days and weeks to come. Thank you for your submissions!
Virtual Town Hall Recording
On Wednesday, March 18th, 2020, we held a virtual Town Hall for our US sellers. If you were unable to attend, please feel free to review the recording here.
Remote Work Landing Page - Targeted Selling Opportunity
Have you seen our brand-new Remote Work Shop landing page? This page currently features laptops, tablets, monitors, and other accessories customers will need to make working from home as easy as possible! Please contact your dedicated Back Market representative to see how you can also benefit from this targeted selling opportunity.
Shipping & Delivery
- Late delivery impact on marketplace standings: Delivery will NOT impact your BuyBox score, until further notice.
- Status of new ‘On-time shipping’ and ‘On-time delivery’ KPIs: On hold until further notice.
- Future shipping suspensions in specific areas or country-wide: We are closely monitoring these developments, and will provide further guidelines if such circumstances arise. If cancellations of orders from specific areas in the US become necessary, please connect with your Back Market representative to ensure that cancellations do not affect your BuyBox score. Following any cancellations you may make as a result of operational or logistical restrictions (or otherwise), please ensure your listings stock counts in Back Market accurately reflect your current available inventory.
- Restrictions on business operations in specific areas: Please contact your Back Market representative if you will not be able to maintain operations due to local restrictions, so that we can assist in taking any necessary steps, such as temporarily placing your Back Market listings on hold, etc.
3/26/2020, 9 AM ET - If your business is based in or operates out of a state(s) that has announced shelter-in-place orders, please connect with your Back Market representative to let them know your operations plans going forward so that they can assist in any necessary actions to be taken on the Back Market platform. Our Back Market team will also be reaching out proactively to help guide next steps.
Service Impact of COVID-19 Containment Measures in United States (as of March 25, 2020)
FedEx is an essential business. Due to the crucial role we play in moving supply chains and delivering critical relief, FedEx is considered an essential business and may continue to operate under state of emergency and shelter in place orders recently issued in the U.S. We have been and will continue to operate to and from impacted areas as local conditions and restrictions allow.
Our FedEx Office retail locations are also providing vital access points to our global network, hold locations for redirected shipments and urgent printing support for government agencies and customers. Limitations may apply where local or state COVID-19 orders preclude such services. The safety and well-being of our 475,000 team members is our top priority as they continue to deliver critical goods and services to support communities across the globe.
Prior to shipping, please check to see if your recipient is open, as many commercial businesses are now closed. In the event a business is closed, we will follow our current operating procedures to attempt to complete delivery at a later time. If your business recipient is unable to receive a package at their normal business address, our Hold at Location option is available to over 14,000 locations including FedEx Office and Walgreens locations. Select Hold when preparing the shipment. We’ll continue to evaluate our processes as this dynamic situation evolves.
Signature Suspension Notification. To help promote the safety of our employees and customers, FedEx’s Signature guidelines are being temporarily adjusted for all shipments within the United States, with the exception of Adult Signature Required (ASR) shipments. In efforts to minimize physical interactions, customers may be asked to verify recipient name in lieu of a physical signature. FedEx is still collecting recipient information; therefore, surcharges for these services will continue to be assessed. For shipments with the adult signature service option selected, couriers will still request a physical signature and require a government issued photo ID.
Global Suspension of Money Back Guarantee. The impact of COVID-19 is causing local, state, and national governments around the world to issue work and travel restrictions on a daily basis which are impacting our ability to meet our high standards of service. As a result, we have made the decision to suspend our money-back guarantee for all FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight and FedEx Office services effective immediately until further notice. Because FedEx is an essential transportation service provider, we will continue operating as government restrictions and regulations allow.
See: FedEx Service Alerts
The Postal Service has so far experienced only minor operational impacts in the United States as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. We do continue to have a temporary suspension of the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International destined for China and Hong Kong, which has been effective since Monday, Feb. 10, 2020, due to widespread airline cancellations and restrictions into this area. In addition, customers may see delays in mail and packages destined to China as well as from China, as well as to and from European countries subject to restricted passenger airline travel. The Postal Service is undertaking all reasonable measures to minimize the impact to our customers.
In addition, the Postal Service is an essential service for purposes of its compliance with state or municipality shelter-in-place orders or other social distancing restrictions. The Postal Service delivers medications, social security checks, and is the leading delivery service for on-line purchases. The statute that created the Postal Service begins with the following sentence. “The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by an Act of Congress, and supported by the people.” 39 U.S.C. §101(a).
For those business mailers who utilize the Business Service Network (BSN), we encourage them to continue to maintain the line of communication with their representative on changes to the postal system. If a customer or mailing partner needs to shut down its operations due to the current situation, they should contact their BSN contact, Sales contact, or their local Business Mail Entry contact to discuss their plans. These local contacts will notify the Districts, Area, and Headquarters of any needed assistance or broader impacts.
• How is USPS handling mail for closed businesses? Mail on the delivery route is returned to the Delivery unit and will be held for 10 days under current policies. Customers can request a temporary hold for their mail up to 30 days. Caller Box customers should contact their local office to discuss how they will be handling the pickup of this volume. Any high volume customer will be contacted to discuss pickup options as well.
• How is USPS delivering mail under shelter in place declarations? The Postal Service is classified as an essential government service operation, which allows us to continue operations.
• How safe is the mail and mail transport equipment? Current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidance continues to indicate there is no evidence the virus is spreading through the mail. According to WHO, the likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low, and the risk of catching the virus from a package that has been moved, traveled, and exposed to different conditions and temperatures is also low. This guidance remains true for mail transport equipment.
• Is the USPS experiencing capacity issues due to reduced airline routes? There are no domestic air capacity issues at this time. The Postal Service continues to work with International air carriers and contract air carriers to keep mail moving.
Industry and commercial customers can email questions or concerns about COVID-19 and the mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with COVID-19 in the subject line. Mailers can also sign up for Industry Alerts at email@example.com.
See: USPS Service Alerts
In the U.S., UPS is designated among the government’s critical infrastructure and, therefore, operations continue as normal.
In the interest of employee and customer safety, UPS’s Signature Required guidelines are temporarily being adjusted such that consignees will no longer need to sign for UPS Signature Required deliveries. Despite this adjusted process the driver will still need to make contact with the consignee. The consignee must, at the time of delivery, acknowledge that UPS is making a delivery and, if applicable, show government issued photo ID.
Many of our pickup and drop off locations, including The UPS Store®, are still operating. Some businesses that serve as UPS Access Point® locations are closing or adjusting their operations due to coronavirus. The UPS Global Locator is being updated in real-time to reflect the nearest available active locations.
Suspension of Service Guarantee
Effective March 26, 2020 and until further notice, we have suspended the UPS Service Guarantee for all shipments from any origin to any destination.
Prior to shipping, please check to see if the recipient’s location is open, since business opening hours may have changed due to local restrictions. If the location is closed, we will hold your shipment and attempt to complete the delivery at a later date if the receiving location has indicated to UPS that it will re-open within 9 days. However, if the location is closed indefinitely, UPS will return the package to the sender. Please continue to visit this site for the most up-to-date information regarding the impact of Coronavirus on UPS services.
Actions to take:
1. Please adjust your shipping options and extend shipping time estimates in the Back Office.
2. Keep your Account Manager and Quality Account Manager updated on any changes your business experiences or information you receive directly from carriers.
- Please ensure your return address is up-to-date in the Back Office, and that it reflects an appropriate location where you will be able to receive and inspect returned devices, and issue refunds as needed. If you are unable to repair or replace a device for logistical reasons, please communicate that clearly to the customer and issue a refund once you are able to receive the return.
- 30-day Money-Back Guarantee remains in effect.
- Standard response times for customer service requests will not be changing at this time.
We continue to closely monitor and work to prevent fraud together with our partners, Adyen and Signifyd, through which we offer fraud-free transactions, guaranteed. Nevertheless, under the circumstances, we are expecting a potential rise in fraud attempts. If a consumer reaches out after an order has been submitted requesting that you ship the product to an address different from that named on the order:
- Do not ship to the changed address. If you do, you will no longer be covered by our fraudulent chargeback protections.
- Cancel the order.
- Report the incident to your Account Manager and/or Quality Account Manager. They will make sure any cancellations made to prevent fraud will not impact your BuyBox score.
- Ensure your Back Market listing stock counts still reflect accurately your current available inventory.
Cleaning (now more important than ever!)
- While risk of transmission from packages is low, please take extra precaution to clean devices and accessories thoroughly using at least 70% isopropyl alcohol or Clorox disinfecting wipes or solutions.
Back Market is proactively informing consumers about the possibility of shipment delays.
BackMarket.com COVID-19 Banner & FAQ Article