👀 The situation : The customer just ordered one of your product, it is now time to prepare it, ship it and ensure its safe and quick delivery
In this article we will detail:
✅ = what is expected from you as Back Market seller (could be in the charter, or contract)
🏆= what we suggest to do to improve customer satisfaction (note that this is often what the BackCare agent will do when acting on your behalf)
Roles & responsibilities
Structurally, deliveries are under the responsibility of the merchant. This means the responsibility as a seller do not end once shipment is done but once product has been received compliant to the order.
Back Market on the other end gives the framework into which the Merchant operate - shipping delays, available delivery methods, quality standards, etc - but ultimately the Merchant get to chose their carrier, the delivery fees and the way they want to handle their deliveries.
From a customer stand point this means each product description has its own estimated delivery time and shipping costs and each product of an order made on the site is shipped separately (no group purchase)
In a delivery there are 4 roles.
Most of the time, the Merchant is both responsible for the transport and sender (or recipient)
- The responsible for the transport is the only one conversing with the carrier. Any request for information / change / modification (either requested by the sender or recipient) shall be handled through the responsible for the transport. This include changing address, delivery instructions, request additional information on delivery status, etc
- The sender is responsible for packaging the product, this is essential to limit the risk of damage during transport
- The recipient is responsible for declaring any issue (damaged product, stolen product etc) within 72h after delivery is complete (in case the delivery is made to a pick-up point the 27h start after recipient has picked the parcel)
- The carrier is responsible for delivering the parcel undamaged, on-time to its recipient according to the delivery instructions provided by the responsible of the transport.
Delivery options available to Merchant
Delivery managed by Merchants
The first option for Merchant is to handle deliveries all by themselves. They chose their carrier and contract with them directly, they edit the delivery label, they organize the shipment and manually enter the tracking number in BO. In this case the Merchant is responsible for the transport
FBBM - Fulfillment by Back Market - CUBYN
The 2nd option (not available in the US) is for Merchant to externalize part of their logistic - stock management, shipment and delivery management - through FBBM, a service offered by Back Market. In this case, the service provider handling the shipment & delivery is Cubyn. Cubyn is responsible for the transport but the Merchant remains the point of contact for customer support with all matters related to delivery
The 3rd option (not available in the US) is for Merchant to benefit from Back Market transport service BackShip. This service allows the Merchant to issue pre-folded transport labels and benefit from competitive prices with Back Market's partners: Colissimo and DHL Express. In this case Back Market is responsible for the transport
See detailed responsibilities in case of a delivery issue here
Delivery standards at Back Market
- 🏠 Currently only home deliveries are available to customers
- 🏝 No shipment to French DOM-TOM
- ✅ Merchants shall ship orders within 48h following the creation of the order (not the validation). This delay is reduced to 24h if the product is a smartphone or tablet
- ✅ For all packages delivered, customer's signature🖊 must be a necessity
- 🏆 We strongly advise to properly insure all packages
More about on-time shipment and on-time delivery here
- ✅ In case the Merchant is responsible for the transport he has 48 hours to provide relevant information (status, new delivery time, etc) to the customer / care agent
- ✅ In case Back Market is responsible for the transport (BackShip), requests shall be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ✅ Merchant shall ensure the tracking number is loaded in the BO for customers to be able to track their package (in case of a return, at least the tracking number and carrier shall be shared within the S.A.V.)